As a member of the European Union, Poland is also a member of the Schengen Area, which brought to us the abolition of internal border controls and a common visa policy. Nearly all of the EU countries share the common visa policy except for Cyprus, Romania and Bulgaria, who are legally obliged to join, and the UK and Ireland who have opted out. Despite not being in the EU, Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein and Switzerland are also members of the Schengen Area.

What does it mean for you? It depends on the type of Schengen C-type Visa you have. But one thing does not change – you can stay in the Schengen territory for no more than 90 days during a 6 month period.

Two types of Schengen Visa

Unified Schengen Visa

If you are in possession of a unified Schengen visa (C-type visa valid in Schengen states) you are entitled to stay in the territory of any Schengen states.

Limited territorial validity Visa

The Schengen visa with limited territorial validity (C-type visa valid only in Poland or with validity excluded for a specified Schengen state/states) only entitles the holder to stay in the territory of the state/states for which it is valid.

Where to apply?

There are three ways to obtain the Schengen C-typa Visa:

1. If you decide to stay in the territory of just one country (which is Poland of course) you need to go to a diplomatic outpost of the Republic of Poland in your country of origin.

2. If you decide to travel around the Schengen Zone but there is also a country which is your main destination (which will be Poland as we both know) you need to go to the diplomatic outpost of the Republic of Poland in your country of origin.

3. If you decide to travel around the Schegen Zone but you are still not sure where you’re going to stay (why not try Poland?) you need to go to the diplomatic outpost of the country where you will be entering the Schengen territory.

Required documents

1. Travel document: – valid at least three months after your planned departure from Poland/Schengen territory;
– with at least 2 blank pages;
– issued within the last ten years.
2. Completed and signed visa application form. – click here for the form
3. Biometric photo – click here for the photo requirements
4. Visa fee. – 60 EUR
5. Health insurance of at least EUR 30000, valid in the entire Schengen territory.
6. Supplementary documents, confirming:
– the purpose of the visit,
– possession of accommodation;
– possession of sufficient funds to cover the cost of entry, stay and departure from the Schengen territory or Poland;
– willingness to leave Schengen territory after expiry of the visa.

The types and number of supplementary documents may differ depending on the consular office. In this, we advise you to contact the relevant consulate to obtain full information concerning the documents needed when submitting a visa application.

If you require any further legal advise for your work permit / VISA application you can contact us via our legal advise form.

Comments are closed.